Friday, June 21, 2013

Peru (day eleven)

A narrative story of my last day (or days, I guess) in the beautiful country of Peru by way of my journal...

The magnificent travels of Megann Phillips: a journal
Day 11 in Peru
March 26, 2012
Flashback to the Uros Islands
        On the boat ride to AmantanĂ­ yesterday, we stopped at the Uros Islands. They're a lot smaller than I expected them to be after reading about them in my travel guide: only about two hundred square feet. They are packed tightly with little reed-built houses, except for a relatively spacious circle in the center, which is filled with evenly spaced vendors of small trinkets and handmade crafts.
        I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed; it was all simply too commercialized for my taste, I think... There wasn't much of a culture to experience, as I thought there would be. However, I did find something to speculate about in concern with the living conditions: there was absolutely no electricity or running water... In fact, I didn't even see a bathroom or a kitchen at all.
        Dad said that he didn't believe they could actually survive with the minute resources they had on the island we set foot on, and hypothesized a giant conspiracy: that the people on the island didn't actually live there, and just came there to vend their goods during the day. I would be one of the first to admit his points are valid, but I'm not sure that I can quite bring myself to believe his suggestion for the sake of intrigue.
        On a different note, aside from the cultural aspects (which may or may not be staged) about the reed islands, there are historical and technical aspects which I believe I can trust to be reliable enough. 
        History: The Uros Islands were built by the Aymara people of Bolivia as a means if escaping the Spanish in the heat if their conquest, according to the guide on yesterday's tour boat.
        How they're built: Basically, the islanders cut huge cubes if sod, nail them firmly with wooden stakes in each of their four surface corners, and then use rope to tie multiple cubes of the sod together. Afterwards, they layer their homemade island with fresh reeds from the lake, which turn brown and are continually replaced. Maintained properly, an island can last for forty years. (This, also, is according to our boat guide.)
        So how don't they float away? Oh, each island has eight anchors.

Scenes from the Uros Islands follow...
































The Forty-eight Hour Day: Phase One
Dad woke up feeling better today (which I guess, technically, is yesterday, the twenty-fifth), and Flora fixed us all breakfast. We said goodbye soon after, and bought a few of her homemade hats just before Madeline left for school in a blue uniform sweater and messy pink sweatpants.
        We hopped back aboard the tour boat that we took to AmantanĂ­ and headed for the Isla Taquile for a short hike and visit. 

Below are pictures I took on Isla Taquile...
























The Forty-eight Hour Day: Phase Two
        Airports... Airplanes... We caught our first of what is projected to be four total flights back home at around 7:00 PM on the twenty-fifth (yesterday— but that day sort of melds with today).
        Arriving in the Lima airport at about midnight with a layover of eight or so hours before the Lima-Miami flight (the second leg of the grand voyage), we slept on the floor of the airport for some time, hugging our luggage to protect it from thieves. Needless to say, now on the third airplane of the day, Cara, Dad, and I all smell like old shoes. A nice, hot shower may even make my sadness at leaving Peru disappear for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment